7.07.2007

It's been almost a month since I've last had a decent thought to put into text. Not that I haven't been thinking... In fact! My brain has barely shut down through the past weeks leaving me tired, haunted even in my dreams, and yet still looking forward (somehow) to Kentucky. I never would have thought I'd ever have a good thought about Kentucky - stories for another time...

I scribbled this a while ago in my journal and I can't seem to stop thinking about it. What do you think?

If you removed all the colors and patterns you would see the world in solid lines and whole shapes. If you took away all the shadows, made conceptual objects clear, you could see through whole buildings and across cities to far off places. Would the world look bigger? Imagine actually seeing as far as the eye can see. How far is that really? When would the horizon line cut the view? To think that all one would have to do was take one step forward, and then another; each step would extend the line of sight. I'd find myself running, hopeless trying to somehow catch up with that imaginary line, like a butterfly always just out of reach.

The world would be prettier in color, with solid shapes and shadows cutting into sight- It is prettier, but it would be lovely to see the world simplified just once. It would be wonderful to be that exposed, like standing in the middle of a vast desert with miles of sand in all directions, or floating in the middle of one of the vast oceans... The sad probable truth is that I would find myself searching for the solids, the tangible, a palm tree for shade. In the end I would ruin the perfection of it with all my restless dissatisfaction.

The bigger truth is actually even more ridiculous. I can't let myself question natural inclinations. I question everything else and it makes my brain ache - but living in reality, knowing it will never satisfy my sight and endless curiosity leads me to believe that none of it will ever be enough. Taking all that exists and all the world that I have yet to see into consideration, there still exists the possibility that I judge too quickly and that alone gives me hope. A fine thread.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home